Friday, November 5, 2010

Week ten of teaching (and a little bit about dahlias)

Well, this week has gone by super quick for me. I have done absolutely nothing productive at home besides run a load of laundry that I haven't put away. Saturday is cleaning day, peoples! I will not let myself go shopping with Tera until my apartment is all spic and span again.

Pinky swear.

The only thing exciting at work this week was that there wasn't as much work! It's week ten and time for achievement tests. So, Tuesday through Friday I was only doing half of my normal work. Well, same hours but not as much stand up and try to keep student's attention. With my Memory (lower level) classes, we did a practice test on Tuesday and Wednesday before the REAL test on Thursday and Friday. Now, this test is really important because it is a major part of deciding whether or not they move on to the next level in Chung Dahm. Needless to say, I spent most of my time trying to keep them confident, tell them how good they are at speaking, how even if they don't level up it doesn't mean they are terrible people, etc. They are so cute and studious. :)

Today I was really tired during class so I had to work extra hard to stay upbeat for them. I think I might have come across as a kindergarten teacher on a sugar high with my forced level of enthusiasm. The kids responded though and with our last 15 minutes of class we played some vocabulary review games that made them super happy. Go, Teacher. :)

Also, I had several students say it would be okay if they didn't level up because that would mean that they could stay in my class. When I told them I might not teach the same level next term they asked if I would be teaching the next level up. They were really sad when they found out I wouldn't know until next term. I felt so special that they wanted to stay in my class.

It probably didn't hurt that I totally bribed all my classes with choco-pies (they had to do some token activity to "earn" it... but everyone got one) in anticipation of instructor evaluations next week. My goal is to be the first teacher to get level one on my first term working for Chung Dahm. I'll find out in five weeks if my teaching skills (and bribery... hey! All the teachers are doing it) have gotten me there. Wish me luck! ;)

I actually probably won't since I think PART of getting level 1 is based on seniority. But we'll see, right? *crosses fingers*

Sadly, that's all there is to say about Korea right now. It's been pretty uneventful this week. Except, well, I just discovered what might be my new favorite flower.

My favorite flower has, for a long time, been gerbera daisies. I love the bright colors and over sized heads of these beautiful flowers. They make me happy every time I see them.


Image from http://mgonline.com/Home.aspx

Well, today I was reading one of my favorite blogs of all time, Design Sponge, and they had a post about what I think are now my new favorite flowers: dahlias.



Isn't that the most gorgeous thing you've ever seen? For one: the COLOR! So beautiful! And then the fact that they come in various sizes from smaller than my fist to bigger than my face and all look like lion heads with fly away manes! I can't get over how pretty these flowers are. Especially with the bouquets.

Here. Have some eye candy of the flower variety.




Dahlia images from Design Sponge

Oh, how I love flowers. I wish I wasn't so allergic to them... oh well. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I guess you don't know that we have dahlias in the front yard every year. BUT you don't get to see them because they are the flowers under the tree that get real tall and bloom inside the leaves of the tree so we don't get to see them. Thank you for the beautiful photos though. One of my two favorite flowers also. That and hydrangeas (spelling?). I miss you!

    ReplyDelete