Saturday, November 20, 2010

Cranes on my wall

I've been in Korea for a while now and the little apartment is finally starting to feel like a home instead of just the place I go to in between teaching. That might have something to do with the fact that the dishes are done and the floor is currently clean... but I digress.

One thing I love (but am, admittedly, not as good at as I'd like to be) is interior design. I read lovely blogs that show beautiful homes with pretty furniture, white walls, splashes of bright colors, and just overall gorgeous photography showing off gorgeously designed living spaces. Unfortunately, I am currently limited by money, lack of a car, and the fact that I'll only be living here a year so I don't want to get a bunch of stuff that I really love in order to decorate my apartment.

For example, there's this couch at the local second hand furniture store. It sits outside all the time so it probably isn't in the best of condition. It is also probably made out of really cheap materials. But... it's so pretty! It has a really cool shape, kind of a "swishy" curved back. Also, it is this awesome shade of purple fake velvet with brass upholstery button things on it. It would look so cute in my apartment!

But, for better or worse, I'm stuck with the ugly brown futon. It's not the most comfortable thing, but it serves its function as a couch and possible sleeping place for guests.

So, like I said, my apartment isn't as cute as it possibly could be. But, I was able to put up one thing that makes it look much nicer than it would with just blank walls.

Meet my flock.

I think my Grandma Kullberg would really like this. :)

Pretty much all I did was rip up some pieces of paper and color them with crayons before putting them in a colorific frame from the "dollar" store. Then I folded a bunch of paper cranes and taped them to the wall. Pretty cool, no?

The flock is starting to wrap around the apartment. They've already made it partly around the corner and onto the next wall. I am, however, limited by my height as to how far these birds will fly.


That's it for wall decorations, aside from a few sticky notes around my desk. But I think it looks pretty nice, don't you?

Also, on the artsy note, I got my first real art request on my online gallery this week! A girl asked me to draw her character for her and, well, I was bored and kind of sick so I got it done this weekend. I like how the colors turned out.

3 comments:

  1. I really really like the colorful cranes. Color!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer! I wonder where you got all your creativity from! Grandma would love your cranes. It is one of those things that has to just make you smile when you look at it.

    I love the picture you drew. I hope the person likes it too. Did you get paid for it or was this a gift for her?

    Dad said you finally completely lost your voice. Remember hot lemon water and honey and don't talk all weekend so you will have a voice on Monday.

    We have the downstairs ready to host the fireside tomorrow night and I made these Thanksgiving treat bags ready for everyone. You know me. I always am looking for a way to sneek my crafting skills in there....the poor unfortunate souls....hey our favorite movie!

    After the fireside I am getting my menu ready for Thanksgiving. In addition to Dad, Me and Jesi there will be Auntie Bette, two Missionaries and Micheal and her three children. This will be fun. I hope I can pull this off. I hope Chrissy will be gone so I can use her oven! I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe you can join us for family prayer on Skype for dinner before you head off to work? We'll talk about that later.

    Hugs kiddo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I love the cranes! I've never been good at making those things. You will have to teach me someday :] The picture you drew is really pretty as well. I like the little flower petals in the water, very nice touch :3
    Luv u!!

    ReplyDelete