Sunday, November 28, 2010

25 days of Christmas movies

Well, I opened the window a few minutes ago to let a cool breeze in because, well, I'd left the floor heat on a little long and it had gotten uncomfortably warm in the apartment. When I opened the window, what do you think I found?



SNOW.

Stupid, stupid, cold, wet, gross, SNOW.

Granted, it didn't stick to the sidewalks or the roads, just the air conditioner outside my window. Still. SNOW. Do you have any idea how much I dislike snow? It is horrible. Cold, wet, slippery, causes all sorts of problems for walking and driving. The only good thing about snow is that it is really pretty... when you can be inside with a hot cup of chocolate to watch it.

Or... if the snow is in a really cheesy Christmas movie.

One of my favorite things about Christmas are the movies. That’s right. I love that after Thanksgiving, I can turn on the television and will probably be able to find a cheesy movie about Christmas joy or family togetherness. They are horrifically cheesy and I can name several roommates who hated me for it, but I still love them (both the roommates and the movies).

Well, the t.v. option is out (I have no t.v. and even if I did I don’t think I get Lifetime Family movies out here), but there is always the internet. And the internet has many places I can go to watch some of my favorite holiday movies. So, in honor of the holidays (and the hateful snow sitting outside my window), I have decided to make my own 25 days of Christmas movies list in preparation for the month of December which is quickly approaching.

These are in no particular order, mind you. That would probably take a little more thought and effort than I care to expend. :)

1. Elf
“We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corns and syrup.”



2. A Christmas Story
“You’ll shoot your eye out!”
We have this on every tv in the house (Heaven help us) for the 24 hour marathon on Christmas Eve. Why? Because IT’S AWESOME.

3. Christmas with the Kranks
“You're skipping Christmas! Isn't that against the law?”

4. The Santa Claus
“Can we take a direct flight back to reality, or do we have to change planes in Denver?”
The first two… the third is kind of really dumb… cuz, you know, the first two weren’t… whatever. Two words for you: TIM. ALLEN.

5. Little Women
“Christopher Columbus! “
One of the few movies that I really like Katherine Hepburn in. She’s an amazing Joe (who is my literary hero). Not exactly a Christmas movie but I always watch it around Christmas.

6. Home Alone
*smacks face* “AAAAAAAHHH!!”

7. Jingle All the Way
“We get one day a year to prove we're not screw-ups and what do we do? We screw it up.”

8. A Muppet Christmas Carol
“Mother always taught me: "Never eat singing food."”

9. Die Hard
“Now I have a machine gun. Ho ho ho.”
It totally counts as a Christmas movie.

10. How the Grinch Stole Christmas
“And he even stole the last can of Who-hash!”
The animated and live action are both really good. Though, something must be said for Boris Karlaf narrating the animated version. Love! Also, Glee did a version of the song with Jane Lynch singing. Too cute.


11. Ernest Saves Christmas
“Call it... Uh, a fifth sense. Call it a flash of intermission, but I just got this feeling deep down in the heart of my bottom.”

12. Miracle on 34th Street
“I believe... I believe... It's silly, but I believe.”
The old one and the new one are both good.

13. Nightmare Before Christmas
“Attacked by Christmas toys? That's strange, that's the second toy complaint we've had."

14. Prancer
“What am I, an elf?”

15. The Holiday
“You're supposed to be the leading lady in your own life, for God's sake!”

16. Polar Express
“To the North Pole, of course! This is the Polar Express!”

17. It’s a Wonderful Life
“Why don't you kiss her instead of talking her to death?”

18. A Charlie Brown Christmas
“I never thought it was such a bad little tree. It's not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love.”

19. Mr. Krueger’s Christmas
“’I love you.’ That's what Christmas is all about... Clarissa said it to Mr. Krueger; Mr. Krueger said it to Jesus; and Jesus in so many ways said it to all of us.”
It’s silly… but Jimmy Stewart is in it so I still kind of love it. :) Except for the dream sequence where he is riding in a sleigh with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir... that part is just strange.

20. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
“Didn't I ever tell you about Bumbles? Bumbles bounce.”

21. Mickey’s Christmas Carol
“Bah humbug!”

22. Santa Clause is Coming to Town
“I hate toys! And toys hate me! Either they are going or I am going and I definitely am not going!”

23. White Christmas
“In some ways, you're far superior to my cocker spaniel.”
I only put this one because Mom is in love with the red velvet dresses. That, and Mindy made me watch it in college. I haven’t seen it since.



24. Christmas Vacation
“Can I refill your eggnog for you? Get you something to eat? Drive you out to the middle of nowhere and leave you for dead?”

25. The Singing Christmas Tree
This isn’t actually a movie. It’s a local choir performance done around the holidays in Portland. We would go see it all the time until it was just the same thing every year, but still fun. :)

Maybe thinking of all the awesome Christmas movies will keep me from crying over the snow.

Oh. And a quick update on the voice thing: it sucks. Not talking is really, really hard. Especially when you go to a singles dinner at church. :/ And what do people ask when you first motion that you can't talk? Ask you "What happened?" What do they expect? At least I brought along a wipe off board to talk with. ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment