Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Costco!!

So far my week of silence hasn't been too terrible. I got kind of bored on Tuesday, but ended up just spending extra time chopping and freezing veggies for stir fry. It's broccoli season apparently because this is the first I've seen of broccoli in the stores. I want to try and stock up because it is my absolute favorite vegetable and being without it has been kind of sad... not to mention kind of vegetable-less.

But Monday was pretty fun. I had heard that Costco was near the church but had never managed to find it. After the singles linger longer (free Hawaiian haystacks!), Kendra and I got a friend to show us where the Costco actually was. It ended up being pretty close. Maybe six blocks total from the subway station. Sweet! We were in business.

So Monday we headed up to Costco. It was a wonderful sight.

We got so see lots of familiar American things. They had Martinelli's sparkling apple cider by the case.Rice Krispies for the padre.

And CHEESE. REAL CHEESE. Have I mentioned before how it is hard to find real cheese around here and how it is really expensive? Well, I was even able to find my very own taste of home: straight from Oregon, it's Tillamook cheese!

Then, of course, there were some not so familiar items. Such as really fresh fish. Still swimming. Actually, they just kind of hovered around the bottom of the tank. Silly fish.


You could also get frozen fish on a rope! What do you think? Is it the new soap on a rope replacement for Christmas stockings?

We ended up getting stuff that is very AMERICAN. While the giant bunches of delectable fruit, frozen corn dogs, and other giant bulk items were extremely tempting, we were limited by our tiny fridges/freezers, and the fact that we had to haul all this back to the subway. I got me some lunch meat (ham and spicy salami!) and pepper jack cheese. We also split a giant bag of frozen tortillas that are currently taking up about half of my freezer space. I definitely planning on going back before Christmas to buy a bunch of sweets to haul to the singles Christmas get together.

We HAD wanted to go to the food court for lunch after but apparently you can't go back after you've paid. We're not sure why... but we just shrugged it off and decided to get hot dogs another time.

0 comments:

Post a Comment