Friday, December 3, 2010

Back in the world of the speaking

I went back to the hospital this morning and after another quick look with the scary throat camera (double ICK), I have been told to take my meds for another five days and that I should be good to go. I don't need to go back to the hospital unless I have recurring symptoms.

I was able to look at my throat video from last week and the one from today and you could see a huge difference. For one: both sides of the vocal chord... things were the same size! The one on the left wasn't all swollen and crazy looking. Much better.

So I can talk! I am going to call my boss and tell her I'm good to work this week. I'll take it easy on the voice for a while: no yelling, no singing, try to speak in a lower register, that sort of thing. Hopefully speaking again won't aggravate it back up again. I'm pretty confident. My throat doesn't hurt at all anymore. :)

Unfortunately, this also means no Messiah for me this year. *sigh* I'm really sad that I don't get to do Messiah this week. I mean, really sad. Singing it was totally going to make my Christmas. Oh well. I'll just have to settle with watching it this year.

In other news, Dad told me to send some reassurance out there. Some of you might have seen on the news some stuff that's going on over here between the north and south. It's calmed down quite a bit, so don't worry too much. Yeah, it is kind of a big deal: it's the first time that actual South Korea land has been hit by what is indisputably North Korea. However, the island in question is within the "disputed" area, so it is technically a "legal" move (I didn't know that there was legal vs illegal warfare... whatever).

There are a bunch of people that are registered with the army at my school (every male has to enter the army at some point here, apparently... interesting) and so if anything really serious did happen, then a lot of the guys in our branch would be called to report for duty and I'd know that something was going on. Also, I'm on a call/e-mail list for the U.S. Embassy. If anything really big were to happen, I would get a call telling me and I would high tail it out of here. I regularly check the embassy web site as well for any information about air travel risks in my area, just in case.

So, no need to worry. Everything is fine and if it gets to the point that it's not fine, I'll leave.

Is everyone all reassured now? If not, I don't really know what else to tell you, peoples.

Now, to diffuse the tension after talking about serious stuff (geez... who wants SERIOUS stuff on a blog?), I give you this happy holiday video of Bi (known as Rain in the States) who I might get to go see in concert on New Years Eve. :)



Isn't that man adorable? :)

1 comment: