Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Birthday Weekend

Sorry this update is late. I've been kind of putting off writing about the birthday weekend. Mostly because it kind of sucked as far as birthday weekends go. Yeah. Sad day. Oh well. Such is life.

Anyways. The week was just one of those weeks where everything kind of seems like it sucks. I think my hormones might have had a hand in that. I was super mood swingy. I hate that because you notice it. Once second everything feels great and happy and then all of a sudden you're kind of depressed for NO REASON AT ALL. Ugh. So that was the main reason for me looking back and saying that last week sucked. All in all, it wasn't a particularly bad week. Just a moody one. :)

Thursday was an interesting day. A girl came in to class and gave me a box of pepero (Korean Pocky). How sweet! So I thanked her and continued working on the report cards. Then two more students came in and gave me boxes of pepero. Turns out, November 11 is Pepero Day in Korea! It's kind of like Valentine's Day in that you give it to people you like, but mostly just a day to promote Pepero. Want to know why? The date: 11/11 looks like the Pepero sticks. How cute. Whatever. I got tons of pepero to cheer up my moody day.

The actual birthday day was uneventful. I got a call from the family over Skype and we talked and I opened presents from them that Dad had left here for me: a PRETTY PRETTY purse, the "Golden Compass" trilogy, and "Iron Man 2" movie from my aunt. Yay! There was also supposed to be two of my favorite Muppet movies (Treasure Island and Christmas Carol!) but they somehow got lost in crossing the Pacific. Sad. But, it's the thought that counts! Mom was really bummed (I think pissed is more like it) that they were missing.

Saturday started out fairly well. I got dressed and set out with the conviction to FINALLY get a haircut (accomplish #5 on The List). My friend Tera had told me about this salon by her subway exit that had some American stylists. I found the place and discovered that either the American workers quit or just weren't there that day. Luckily, I had my handy dandy phrasebook and somehow got an appointment for 3pm.

After some grocery shopping, I came back armed with a picture, a few Korean phrases, and an attitude of forgiveness in case anything went horribly, horribly wrong. Here are the phrases that were most helpful:

I'd like a haircut, please: muhri challah chuseyo

Thin my hair out, please: syahkikkut kkahka chuseyo

I'd like layers, please: chuhngji keh-heh chuseyo

Bangs: behng (that one was easy to remember)

What I looked like before the stylist:

Layers are gone and bangs are too long to really be called "bangs" anymore.

Aaand AFTER!


Well, crappy picture, but the haircut is cute. It is very, VERY Korean. The bangs? Yeah. 6 out of ten girls in my class has the same bangs. I've wanted them for a while, but have been too scared to try them. I'm still not sure if I like them. It depends on the moment and if I have straightened them yet or not. Curly bangs = frightening.

The rest of Saturday kind of blahhed. We were supposed to go to dinner and noraebong (take care of #3 on The List). Just really going to be Tera, Kendra, and me. Well, it ended up kind of flopping. A guy from church (that I'm only briefly acquainted with) and two of his friends (whom I met that night) saw Tera in the subway and ended up tagging along. Ok. That's not too bad. So we went to a fried chicken place (not a big fan of fried chicken, by the way; I much prefer baked with delicious sauce of some kind... like bbq) and it was fun sitting and talking.

Then Tera got a call from her neighbor with a stalker crisis (some creepy guy kept trying to come see her and was not taking no for an answer) so Tera had to go calm down her hysterical friend. Understandable. But that left Kendra and me with the peoples we didn't know. Their other friend (whom I didn't know) wanted to come find them and go clubbing. We were invited but, well, as you know clubbing really isn't my thing and so while I might force myself to go do something like that with people who I like, I wasn't going to go so that with people I don't know, especially not for my birthday party.

So, the birthday party ended up with just me and Kendra heading back to my apartment for cake, present, and Iron Man 2 on my laptop. I understand why the evening fell apart, but I am still kind of bummed that we didn't go to the noraebong. Sad. Oh well.

But we did have delicious cake. A cranberry roll... thing. It was super yummy.


And the present from Kendra was BUNNY SLIPPERS! I love them so much. They are really warm and, well, BUNNY SLIPPERS!


And that was the birthday weekend. Back at school, now. We're in the last two weeks of the term and the kids are kind of going nuts. They are SOOO done and it is hell trying to keep them going right now. I completely understand; I'd love to cancel lessons and just play pictionary and hangman for three hours (actually NOT), but, unfortunately we cannot do that. Sad story.

Also, I think I pulled a voice muscle or something on Sunday (is that even POSSIBLE?!). We were singing Messiah and in "Glory to God" (my favorite song!!) the sopranos hit a high A. Well, having not sung in a while I probably should have done a better job warming up because I felt something, like, "pop" is I guess the best word for it. Whatever. It still hurts and talking for class is only making it worse. Bugger. Drinking tons of water and hoping it's better for Sunday when we have our two hour rehearsal. Have I mentioned how much I love Messiah? Choir makes my week a little happier.

Anyways. That's last week! Hopefully this next weekend will have some more fun stuff to tell. Loves!!

1 comment:

  1. aw, sad day! i wish i could have been there to help make your day better. i love you!

    your haircut is super super cute! i like it a lot. post that new profile pic soon! ;-)

    ReplyDelete