Saturday, September 18, 2010

Things I want to accomplish in the next year

I had plenty of reasons for coming to Korea. Like I’ve mentioned before, part of it was to have the experience of living in a foreign country for an extended period of time and really experiencing a culture different from my own norm. I’m also using this as an opportunity to take a break from “real” life in order to come to a decision about what I want to do for my future career and therefore make a final decision for grad school.

One of the main deciding factors for not giving up on the idea of coming to Korea is something my mom said.

That’s right, Mom. It’s all your fault. ;)

When I was first contemplating it, simply contemplating it, mind you, my mom said I would never do it. It would fall through just like all my other plans for going abroad. I took it as a challenge. I held onto the idea and doggedly refused to let go of it. Maybe it’s supposed to be my “defiance” thing that I missed out on in high school. I don’t know. But, really, that played a huge role in my decision to come here to South Korea.

What influenced me the most, however, was the anticipation of regret. If I didn’t come, I’d wonder for the rest of my life if I could have done it. How would my life have changed? What opportunities did I miss? After making the decision, I couldn’t back down because I believed strongly that this experience was important for my personal development. I’ve always been an introvert and I hoped that a year in a foreign country on my own would force me out of my socially awkward bubble.

In order to make myself step out of that self-made bubble, I have set many goals for the next year. Things I want to do, be better at, and in general try to do while I’m here. So, because I’m such a big fan of lists, here’s my list of goals for the next year (in no particular order):

1. Go to a jimjilbang (public bath house)
2. Take a picture in a hanbok (traditional Korean dress)
3. Go to a noraebang (karaoke room)
4. Taste everything on the table at least once (this rule is exempt in the case of suckers, raw meat, and intestines)
5. Get a "Korean style" haircut
6. Go to as many work and church activities as I can
7. Take at least one big bite of kimchi anytime it is offered. Hopefully learn to love it.
8. Learn Korean
9. Decide on a career (Teaching? Counselor? Politics? Designer?)
10. Decide on a graduate program/school
11. Take pictures, pictures, pictures!!
12. Find an awesome counterfeit purse
13. Purchase frivolously awesome adorable crap for me and everyone else
14. Take a trip to another foreign country that I’ve never been to

I've started on a few of these goals (numbers 4, 6, 7, and 13 mostly). Number 13 is going to be the most fun, I must say. There is lots of adorable stuff here in Korea. I've been good, though. I'm not saying these items were frivolous in any way, but they are super cute.



I got a little notebook for my purse, a nice little planner (Schedule Planner For your happy life), and an orange for my purse. The Orange actually unfolds into a grocery bag! It's awesome. They charge for bags here at grocery stores and the like. My little orange is perfect; clips right to the outside of my purse. I've seen similar items in the states for close to $10. This little guy only cost me 3,000 won, less than $3. Nice.

Also, in honor of goal #11, here's a picture of the soy sauce from dinner the other night. It's so happy to see you!



This was a totally "candid" shot, too. I looked over and it was just smiling at me! Only after this picture did I start playing with making soy sauce faces in the bowl...

I hope everyone is having a good time back home. This next two weeks are going to be kind of short for me. This week because of Chuseok (Korean Thanksgiving kind of) and the next week because of middle school exams all my 7pm classes will be canceled. Kendra and I plan on going to Itaewon on Tuesday and checking out some of the more touristy areas. I have no idea what we'll find. Should be interesting. Wish us luck! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment