Saturday, September 25, 2010

My First Chuseok (aka A Really Boring Week)

Happy Chuseok, everyone!

Not that my own Chuseok was eventful, or anything, but it was probably better than yours (considering, you know, most of my readers don't actually CELEBRATE Chuseok).

I suppose a little background information is in order. Chuseok is kind of like American Thanksgiving in that it involves getting together with family, lots of foods, your basic harvest festival. Many families also perform a ritual to honor their ancestors. I've also heard that it's customary (particularly with children) to wear the traditional hanbok (traditional Korean dress). They had lots of childrens hanboks on sale at Emart the past few weeks in preparation for Chuseok. They are super cute. I'd love to get one just for fun. They are really pretty.

Because of the holiday, I had Tuesday and Wednesday off (yay!) but I had to teach a class on Saturday to allow students to make up what they missed (boo!).

We had plans to go to Itaewon on Tuesday. Itaewon is supposed to be pretty touristy. Lots of shopping, fake designer bags, postcards, etc. I just wanted to check it out, maybe get a few things for my apartment and people back home. I've heard fun things and I thought it would be nice to do something with our days off.

Unfortunately, I woke up to pouring rain and thunder on Tuesday. I mean POURING. It looked like the rain machine was broken on a movie and just dumping water instead of raining, you know? BUCKETS OF RAIN.

It's hard to see in this picture, but you can get a little of an idea of how hard it was raining. This was the view from the entrance to my apartment (see the store that I don't know what it sells?). Crazy rain!



Kendra and I only ventured out for groceries (and I needed some notebooks) but Itaewon was definitely out of the question. I was kind of bummed.

We were told that most everything would be closed on Wednesday (the actual day of Chuseok) so I spent the entire day watching movies, reading, looking up different careers, and just overall being really, really lazy.

Boring.

The rest of the week was about as eventful as my holiday. I only taught half days on the days I did teach. All of my 7pm classes are canceled this and next week because of middle school exams. I only had three students on Thursday. It was hilarious. Three girls. We had fun together, though I'm sure it was annoying that they had to continually pay attention since I only had three of them to pick on. ;)

A very boring week. However, my apartment is clean and I've started to work on my Korean. Don't get too excited; mostly just review of how to read Hangul. I'll get there, though. So, I suppose the week wasn't an entire waste.

Well, here's a few pictures for entertainment since, well, the rest of this post is admittedly pretty boring. I feel guilty if I don't send out at least one update a week on this blog. :)

These are two of the new teachers I've been hanging out with recently. Diane and Tim. Lovely couple, wouldn't you say? They met in Japan when she was teaching there a few years ago. How cute. :)



Then this picture is mostly for my friend Mindy, but there might be a few people out there who will get the joke. It's a sign on the entrance to my school. My own caption: "No smoking on the Tardis!"



Only Dr. Who geeks will get the joke. Don't worry if it's confusing... or more than a little stupid.

Well, that's it. Let me know if you have any ideas or requests for post topics. Culture, life here, whatcha wanna know? I'm getting into a set routine now so things are becoming less "ADVENTURE!" and more "Hi, ho, it's off to work I go... again."

Peace out! ;)

0 comments:

Post a Comment