Sunday, October 10, 2010

Itawon *FINALLY!!* and a Firework Festival

I finally made it to Itaewon this weekend! I was very happy. It ended up being a great day to go, too. There was a firework festival going on by the waterfront so I think everyone was down there. As it was, we seemed to be the only customers wandering around the little shopping mall we found.

It was exactly what I was looking for. Full of all the touristy junk: postcards, fake bags, trinkets, and other cute things. The whole reason I've been wanting to go to Itaewon is to find Christmas gifts for my family before my dad comes to visit (11 days!). I was able to find a gift for my dad and something for my mom. I also found something cute for my chicky (my little sister). However, I decided I liked it too much so I am now the proud owner of a pig-rabbit cell phone plushy charm!



The idea of a "pig-rabbit" is from a Korean drama I got for and watched with my chicky over the summer. It's called "You're Beautiful." The guy calls her a "pig-rabbit" and at one point combines two stuffed animals to make one for her. It's super cute, absolutely Korean. Here's a clip from the drama of when Tae Kyung makes the pig-rabbit for Go Mi Nam.



Chicky has since demanded that she gets a pig-rabbit cell phone charm as well. I can probably work that out. ;)

After the little mall thing, we walked around a little bit. I found where the Hard Rock Cafe used to be!



Unfortunately, it looks like it's out of business now. Sad story! But, I found some knock off shirts still being sold around... maybe Dad will be able to find one to add to his collection when he comes to visit.

After Itaewon, we were supposed to meet up with some friends from church to go see the firework show by the river. It was a little bit more of an ordeal than we thought it would be.

Now, I'm usually okay with crowds. Disneyland: fine. Saturday at the mall: whatever. But Line 5 to get to the firework show?! THAT was insanity. This is what it looked like at the station getting onto the train.



I was literally PUSHED onto the train and I had to hold on to some people to keep from going forward even more and stepping on some lady's baby that was standing in front of her!

I wish I could show you a picture of Yeouinaru Station, but I was too busy fighing for my LIFE to try getting out my camera. I can now understand how people can DIE in crowds. It was insane. You were literally pressed on all sides, people pushing and shoving to get through. I pushed right back though.

It took us half an hour to get out of the subway station. That usually only takes about 5 minutes. Tops.

Definitely an adventure.

Once we got there, we couldn't find our group of friends! Oh noes! We walked around for about twenty minutes or so and finally decided that we weren't going to find them (and no one was picking up their phone). As we were heading out, another foreigner saw us, sensed English skills, and asked if we knew where the kids area was. We didn't and were soon parted.

However, it's a good thing he stopped us or else we would have missed Darcy and the gang walking down the stairs right into us! IT is amazing that we all found each other. That crowd was insane.

So, we followed them out to a patch of grass by the river front where some of their friends were already saving a spot (the festival was all spread out at Hangang Park by the Han River). The fireworks were pretty cool. HUGE! And really quiet compared to the fireworks back home.

The crowd was possibly the best part. Back home, people just sit and chat, whatever. Maybe the "oooo's" and "aaaaaah's" to make fun, but not much genuine enthusiastic noise making. This crowd was gasping and clapping and just making awed noises the whole time. Loved it.



Also, a group sitting next to us gave us a roll of kimbob! They "brought very much kimbobs" and since foreigners are notorious for loving kimbob they asked if we'd like one. Too cute.

And I never actually ate any. I wanted some but the whole time I was hearing my mom in my head: "Did they poison it? Are there hidden razorblades in it? You don't know these people!! Why are you eating their food?"

The subway home was just as crowded and it was a general relief to finally be able to get off and go home.

Once home, I celebrated with an ice cream treat and an episode of my recent Korean drama obsession. The ice cream treat has been one I've been wanting to try for a while because it looks so different: Ice cream with a layer of bean paste sandwiched into a fish shaped ice cream cone. It was delicious. Another treat that should be brought to the states.

0 comments:

Post a Comment