Sunday, April 17, 2011

Who let the dogs out!?

The past few weeks have been crazy. Kendra quitting, leaving, Dad coming, and then Friday. Usually I have Friday off, but my supervisor called and asked if I could sub that day. I wanted to say no but I went because he said it was an emergency and, really, if I needed a sub I would want people to take the time for me (like they have done before).

Turns out the emergency was that two of the teachers skipped out and left the country. Yep. They ditched without a word to our boss. The only reason our boss knew they weren't coming was that another teacher had gotten a text from one of them saying they were leaving the country and not coming back. The best answer they got out of them was that they were scared of the radiation coming from Japan.

That's a dumb reason. First of all: it's EVERYWHERE, and second, it's not even in KOREA that much! Mostly in the other direction! Something else was up.

Whatever the reason, my schedule is all screwed up now and I have some new classes and another of my own classes given to another teacher. Sad day. Oh well.

DRAMA!

In other, GOOD news...

Have I told you about dog cafes? Well, Tara and I went to a dog cafe this weekend and it was awesome. It was a great adventure. Lots of fun. We even made two new friends! Man, I love Tara.

Our adventure starts coming out of the Hongik University Station, exit 5, according to the directions I found online. Our instructions said to turn LEFT. Well, there was a wall there. And a wall in front of us. And behind us. Ok. Let's go down... THIS ALLEY to the main road! Yay! We thought maybe it would become clear out on the main road. But no. It didn't.

Tara is Ms. Fearless. I would have gone into a store and asked for directions. Not this lady. She just asked random people if they spoke English until we found someone who could give us directions. We finally found these two girls who spoke pretty good English and one of them used her iPhone to find directions. Cool!

We thought they would just point in the general direction, but they said they were going in that direction so they would take us. Turns out we were REALLY far from where we wanted to be and these two girls walked us all the way there! We went through a million little roads and alleys to get there and it quickly became clear that this was not "in the same direction" as they were going.

I felt bad that we had taken up so much their time so I asked if there was anything we could do for them, buy them a coffee or dinner or something and you know what they asked? They asked if we could be friends! How CUTE is that! Apparently one of the girls went to Australia for a while and was so impressed by how nice people were to her that she decided that when she came back to Korea she wanted to make friends with a foreigner. So we traded phone numbers and names (they were "Amy" and "Rachel") and promised to meet up some time. Probably not this weekend but maybe the weekend after Easter we'll get together. Tara says we should go clubbing. So maybe I'll hit the Itaewon dancing scene. Who knows.

The whole POINT of this endeavor, though, was to get to the Bau House: a dog cafe. What is a dog cafe, you might ask. No, not where you eat dogs. It's where you go to SEE dogs. They are everywhere! All you have to do is buy a drink (and buy some treats, too, for the dogs) and you get to stay and play with all the puppies!!

We got shakes and a bag of doggy treats. Yay!



We were seated at a table with this beast underneath. He just slept there the whole time. GIANT husky!



The dogs just hop up next to, jump on the tables, walk along the back of chairs... this was a cute little guy that joined us for a while. They are really just there for the treats. Most of them leave if they figure out you aren't going to give them another treat.



This little guy just jumped up on my lap and sat next to me for a while. The CUTENESS!!



This little lady sad behind Tara's head the whole time. She didn't like our treats, but she tolerated being scratched.



I liked this. The dogs were all over these guys. What you DIDN'T see was the dog that had been standing on the table just moments before while I turned on my camera.



This looks like the dog from Lady and the Tramp who sings that "He's a Tramp" song. She was super soft.



Tara loved the two pretty dalmatians.



WEENIE DOG!!!



This chubby guy followed us around a whole lot. He just had the saddest eyes!! How could you say no to that? This guy was a slobber monster, though. I hate when dogs put their heads on your knee and leave a drool spot. Eew.



After playing with all the slobbery dogs, we decided to head out to find something to eat. More specifically, we went in search of Dos Tacos. Along the way we found many things

A chicken for Mom. Sorry, Mom. You can't really stop me from adding to your chicken collection because I'M IN KOREA!! Muahahahahaha!!



I'm pretty sure this wasn't intentional, but it was pretty funny. Boobi Boobi Cafe!



There are apparently 13 "Ho Bars" in the area. This was for the Luxury Hos.



We never found Dos Tacos so we decided to just find a random restaurant. One guy pointed at this place and said it had good food. Come to find out he was a waiter there so he is kind of biased, and also very, very wrong.

This is Cheers.

Don't go here for food. You shall be disappointed.



We checked out the menu and it looked... iffy. We were unsure of some things and others just looked gross. We contemplated just leaving but decided to stick it out.



Tara got a funky looking salad that they guy said would have balsamic on it but ended up having honey mustard which she hates. I thought I would be safe with nachos (I reeeaaally wanted Mexican food...) and I guess it was "safe" just not good. The cheese was all cold and while it would have been fine for a home thing, not what I wanted after not eating all day. Oh well.



We warned some people going up there that it wasn't that good but they wouldn't listen. Oh well. It ended up being a really fun night.

Next week is Easter. What should I do to celebrate? All the eggs are brown, here... any ideas how to decorate brown eggs?

0 comments:

Post a Comment