Sunday, April 17, 2011

Last weekend with Kendra :(

Like I said in my last post, Kendra had to leave. Of course, this meant that we had to go do a bunch of touristy stuff. We had been waiting until the weather was nice because winter was just to cold to go and wander around Seoul. With Kendra leaving so soon, we just didn't have that luxury.

So on Thursday April 7, we hit the town. Of course, it decided to rain ALL DAY. Not big rain, just mist really. Light enough that it felt okay to forgo an umbrella, but enough that after walking around for an hour you realize your hair is totally soaked and only looks worse as it dries. NICE!

Our first stop of the day was Insadong to try and find some souvenirs for Kendra and her family. We walked around a little bit and found a few things for her before we decided to find some food.

Kendra wanted to do barbecue before she left so we set out to find what Sister Christiansen calls a "leaf and beef." We had almost given up hope when a lady passed us a flier saying, "Authentic Korean barbecue!" I think we scared her because we were like, "YES! We were looking for one! Please! Show us!!"

They didn't have what we usually get at the place closest to us, but this one was even BETTER. We got marinated sliced beef with veggies. Mmmm... bulgogi...



Per usual, there were the many sides and I have to admit I didn't try the salads. Sorry. I didn't feel like eating the salad things that always have the same strange sauces on them. Nope. Didn't want it.



I did take a big bite of the kimchi, though. *shudder* I don't know if I will ever get used to that stuff. I honestly don't see the appeal. It's not so much the spicy. It's just STRONG as all get out! You can taste it with your NOSE!! Does no one GET THAT!!?

Anyways. Kendra ate some kimchi, too. It was spicier than usual, which led to large bites of rice.



After that, we took the subway out to Dondaemun to check out Dongdaemun Market which is supposed to be a pretty happening place. We followed the little maps and walked a ways. Then we stepped into a bank, got some money, and walked some more. Stopped at another map, had a nosey ahjumma give us directions, walked some more... We started resorting to walking through random alleys hoping to find SOMETHING!

Finally, we figured out that we had been walking through it the whole time, just no one was there that day.



What a bunch of wimps. A little rain and everything closes down. Psh.

We did, however, pass by the pet area, I guess. There were kittens, hedgehogs, bunnies, birds, fish, and CHICKENS!!

This one's for Mom.



We finally found one alley that was promising. I think this was the toy and stationary alley that we had seen on the map because that is what was there. I was on the look out for my toast pillow, but, alas, though we found many stuffed animals, we never did find any toast. *sad*



I did find the cutest pencil sharpener/eraser holder EVER though.



That's right. The bun clips off so you can store your fries and drink erasers in with the lettuce and meat. Also, it's from HATDONALDS. I love fake brand names. :)



We finally got tired and headed into the mall to watch Kendra's last movie with Korean subtitles. I was surprised at how good Sucker Punched was. I thought it was just going to be a bunch of skanky girls fighting dragons, but it turned out to have a bit more substance than that. Cool.

After a quick trip to Itaewon for a futile attempt to buy fangirl stuff for Kendra (everything was closed by the time we got there) and dinner at Outback, we agreed to meet up at Namdaemun the next morning before her flight for a few last minute things.

We were tired.



After Namdaemun, we went in search of the Korean War Memorial which we never found. Oh well. We did make it in time to the Korean National Museum which was really cool. There was a great view of the city line. Lovely.



We took some stupid pictures in front of the building. Wee!



We were allowed to take pictures in the museum exhibits but our tour guide was... strange so the the opportunity never really presented itself to take pictures. So, instead, here is a lovely picture of the museum gift store.



We decided to take the English tour because we figured they would hit all the big hot spots in the museum that Kendra should see. No. No, he really didn't. Don't take the tour. Just go in and walk around. We were told it would be an hour long tour, but I don't think anyone told our guide that. He spent the first half hour telling us the history of Korea. In front of the exhibits. Not IN the exhibits where we could look at stuff while he talked. AWAY from them. Then he would lecture us about really strange things about how we should feel looking at the eyes of the Buddha, making us walk slowly towards the statue while looking at the eyes...

Not worth it.

I finally looked meaningfully at my watch and he asked if we had to be somewhere and I said that, yeah, we were told the tour was only an hour and Kendra had to leave for the airport. He got really flustered and then just fast walked us through the rest of the exhibits.

The only redeeming part of the tour was that there were only three of us: Kendra, me, and a girl from Spain. I totally got to practice my Spanish! IN KOREA!! It was so much fun. She probably thought I was an idiot, but I had fun.

We quickly left the museum and went on base with Sister Christiansen who had kindly let Kendra spend the week with her and her awesomely adorable (if freakishly TALL) family. Then it was hugs and goodbyes and Kendra was off to the airport. *sigh* Sadness. She's back in Salt Lake, now, with her sister. :(

I headed home to do some stuff to get ready for my daddy to visit the next day! Yay! I stopped and got my bangs trimmed (very badly... I was/am super pissed about that hack job), bought some groceries, and set to cleaning!!

And here I am in my cleaning top-knot, pink cleaning gloves, and apron, ready to attack my nasty bathroom and kitchen!

FIGHTING!!

1 comment:

  1. You look maahhhvalous dahling in your cleaning uniform. I bet all those dust bunnies and germs were scared when they saw you coming...lol

    ReplyDelete