Saturday, August 14, 2010

Arrived and Alive

After a long, long day (emphasis on LONG), Kendra and I arrived safe and sound in Seoul. Now I’m trying to sit down and watch the training videos for the tests tomorrow at training, but the internet I’m using right now is super slow so I’m still waiting for it to load. So, I figure I’ll work on a blog update.

Yesterday… the day before yesterday? Whatever. Friday I got up about 4am to get ready to head to the airport. Mom, Dad, and Jesi came with to see me off. Little bit of crying at security and I was off. My ticket to San Francisco said my seat was 8D which made me really excited. All summer, from Salt Lake to Chicago, Chicago to Germany, Chicago to Salt Lake, Portland to New York I have been sitting in 8D. I only noticed because it looks like a sideways smiley face.

Well, I thought it was cool, at least.

I met up with my friend Kendra in San Francisco (which is a terribly confusing airport… Seoul was even easier to navigate and it was in KOREAN!). We had some lunch, walked around a bit, and then sat by the gate.

The flight was a little delayed, but we were soon off and running… or, sitting, I guess.

The plane was HUGE! We were sitting near the back of the plane and we couldn’t see the front of it!! Also, two stories tall, baby. Crazy sauce.

See how we can’t see the front of the plane? Those aren’t curtains closing us off from first class. Oh, no. It was just a massively huge plane.

The flight itself wasn’t too bad. It ended up being twelve and a half hours. A long time to be sitting on an airplane, but our personal entertainment centers made it not too bad. Oh, it was awesome. We could choose from over a dozen new releases (Is the new Nanny McPhee movie even in theaters, yet? That’s what I watched), tv episodes, documentaries, music CD’s (from which you could compile your own 50 song playlist),radio channels, games, flight map, it was awesome. I watched three movies (Nanny McPhee, the new Shrek, and Diary of a Wimpy Kid), Friends, Two and a Half Men, Everybody Loves Raymond, and played a lot of memory and blackjack.

Food was good, too. We got two meals. The first one we had a choice of Korean food of beef. I had the beef and it wasn’t too bad.

Kendra was a little more adventurous than me and had the Korean food. Complete with seaweed soup.

Not a terrible flight. Couldn’t sleep, but I was still pretty entertained. The last two, three hours were the worst. So close, tired, and ready to just get up and go.

Then we were over Korea!! We could tell from the map on our personal entertainment centers, which also told us what time it was back home and how long we had left of the flight.

Here’s our first view from the window.

Yeah, it was really cloudy so we didn’t actually see Korea until we, like, touched down. By then the stewardess had told me that I couldn’t keep my back pack by my seat (no underseat storage where I sat so it was between the wall and my seat… pretty nice actually; more foot room) and she’d put it top. My camera was inside so I didn’t get pictures out of the window. Oh well. I also didn’t take any in the airport because I didn’t feel like hauling out my camera.

Oh, something of note. We didn’t see any currency exchange spots before customs and you need 3,000 won for a luggage cart. So we had to drag all of our luggage through the airport and finding the bus. Also of note, there’s no luggage carts for purchase past customs. Nice.

Finding the bus and taxi would have proved problematic had some very nice people who spoke English not stepped up and helped us find them. The people here have been very nice. When we were dragging our luggage into the hotel, this nice couple who was standing outside talking offered to help us bring in our bags. We were all, “Oh, no, that’s all right,” but they just smiled and started rolling in our suitcases, wishing us a pleasant trip. So nice.

Then it was showers and sleep. I woke up about 4:30 this morning and couldn’t fall back asleep to I just figured, what the heck, I’ll stay up. I had a quick chat with the parents over slow Skype this morning and Dad warned me not to take a nap when I get tired about 3 in the afternoon when I get tired again. I will try. The plan today is to watch the training videos and possibly walk around town a little bit. I’ll be wearing a summer dress to do that walking bit. It is hot and humid here.

Hope everyone at home is well. Miss you bunches!

ė˜ė“ģš”! Toh bwahyo! Bye!

0 comments:

Post a Comment